Thursday, June 28, 2012

Rags to Riches, the best game in town...


I wanted to make "Rags To Riches" the Game-a-day #1, however, because of changes that I had to make on "Deeds Of Yore", and the time involved in making them my Game-a-day got off track.  I'm still heavy on the "Deeds Of Yore" work, and the new episode will be out this Sunday July 1st.  So, while I don't have time right now to post a lot on the blog, I still want to feature what I consider the best computer game of all time.  Yes, it's a bold statement, but for me it's true.  There is no other game that I have ever played that is so complete in it's creativity, simplicity and fun. "Rags" is creative... You play a bum, a hobo down on his luck.  How many games are about being a hobo?  Anyhow, the point of the game is to make a million bucks starting with two dollars ten cents, a subway ticket, two bottles and a bone.  Game play is the American dream in 8 bit.  It's simple to play... Keep your rest and food and or alcohol meters up, collect bottles for their recycling value, ride the subway to different parts of town, avoid the cops, robbers, and when you get a little in the bank, the IRS.  You can't get a job without a haircut or if you are drunk, you need to get an education to get a better job, and eventually if you play your cards right you will get that one million.  I have finished this game and <Spoiler Alert!>, nothing happens when you win... You just win, and you can keep playing, but there is little point.  I can still play this game over and over, and never get tired of it.  Maybe it's that it mirrors life so well, or perhaps it's just that hope it brings that an 8 bit hobo can be a millionaire. Whatever it is, I think "Rags To Riches" is magical.  It's an unknown masterpiece.  A timeless tale of making something out of nothing.

Rags to Riches on Gamebase64

1 comment: